PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - From Zero to Forty Five - my PPL Diary
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2004, 04:19
SkySista

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH,

I'm going by memory here, so may not have this entirely correct (Sunfish, feel free to correct me as I think you have the magazine??? -I just had skimmed at newsagent)

Elevator cable - in the example, it was the 'UP' cable that had gone... the writer says there is still a perfectly servicable 'Down" cable.... so all you need to do is trim the nose well up and fly it in from there - apparently not too difficult if you are careful and watch what you are doing.... (hmmm...wonder if it is worth asking to have a go at that during a lesson? )

As for the rudder one (or was it ailerons - now Im just messing it all up.... ) I think it was ailerons...... if you have a problem with those, take hold of the inner 'horns' of each yoke (e.g. left hand on right side of left yoke, and vice versa..) and fly from there (could have some difficulty if also managing radios etc but better than flying it into the ground....

Errmmm... blocked intake, think was apply carby heat as it will be taking air from around the engine instead of outside.....

throttle stuck open, use the mixture like a throttle....if you lean off too much and it dies, usually enriching will bring it back again if you have the prop windmilling...... or something like that....

Anyway, there are a few other things they go into, such as gyros, fuel props etc.... anyone in Oz it'd be worth getting for your own reference.... (dont want to get busted for copyright here....! )

They also said the golden rule is if you try something, and it goes wrong, undo the last thing you did.....

Sunfish, oooh a nice backyard to play in.... it's good when all the kids get let out to play...so long as everyone plays nice! Enjoy...! (as for competence, in my opinion it is better to think you need to be better and are in reality probably very good (because you will always be looking to improve your skills and safety) , than to think you're 'it' and be actually crap..... ) Just out of curiosity, (quite a stupid question really) do you get the CASA Flight Safety mailout? I got my latest yesterday and it's actually very good.... you could send in that flap malfunction story and maybe win a grand!!!

Sky