PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 17th Sep 2004, 04:03
Milt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ft and all

"Ask yourself how you can have symmetric airflow around the fuselage when there is rudder applied."

Thought that to be a very simple proposition that could only have one answer. Tis fascinating how noticeably deep thinking minds introduce new angles on aerodynamic basics. Thanks for the challenges and just when I thought I had it all by the tail anyway when I started it wagging.

Please ignore the odd aircraft that has an offset fin by design. They are asymmetric to start with or perhaps screwed up would be a better term to use. Ohhh sorry I ever mentioned that.

Now I'll ask you to mentally turn our subject typical aircraft on to its side and assume that it is being carried along in balanced flight hanging on a giant sky hook suspended through its cg. Zero all the lift with a bit of negative wing alpha. Now we wag the tail again using the rudder to vary fuselage alpha. Doesn't the fuselage now act like a wing and take on what we can call lift and negative lift when we wag the other way.. What stops it doing the same thing horizontally when we fly it normally? Only difference is we call it all by different names and confuse the multitude, but we are now back with sideslip and the horizontal force resulting from that sideslip.

Maybe I can now stick my neck out with another motherhood statement which I believe is inviolate.

Sideslip of an aircraft having a symmetrical fuselage inevitably produces a sideforce acting through the total fuselage lateral centre of pressure PERIOD

ft I think that answers your second set of points also.

Anyone not enjoying this come join us. I promise to keep this going for a while. The red herrings are a hoot!

newcrew are you still there. Please don't blame yourself for having started all of this. Hang in there.

And I think I hurt the feelings of the ex Concord Captain when I called his sideslip indicator a con. Probably one of Brian Trubshaw's bright ideas.
Are you still there on the side Captain?

Standby Oktas 8 for another startling announcement