PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on 1999 B757 crash at Girona finally published
Old 17th Sep 2004, 02:10
Dogs_ears_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Hope you will all forgive an intrusion from a non-pilot crew member. Having read the report, it strikes me that the dominant causal effect of the accident was the loss of visual on the landing lights, exacerbated by the uncommanded thrust increase from the shattered dogbox after impact. To an uninitiated person, fuel and F/O experience may have been contributory factors, but were not the dominant ones. As a Layman, I'm having problems understanding why you're apparently discussing the lesser contributory factors, rather than the major ones.

I'm very concerned that I may be commenting on matters that are outside my area of expertise, and do not wish to impinge on Flight Crew knowledge or experience. It;s just that when I read the report, it struck me as being a particularly malevolent combination of circumstances that combined against the crew, and little more. With hindsight, I expect most pilots would have handled things better, or at least differently. But that is with hindsight.

I have to confess that I work for the carrier involved, and the Captain had flown me on many sectors. He is a man I like and trust, to this day. I would be greatful if you could all avoid the predictable flaming on this subject. I am simply seeking an answer to a straightforward question, asked in good faith from a non pilot. Please, therefore, understand what may be a certain naivete about this post.