PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR Old Runways
Thread: LHR Old Runways
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2004, 20:54
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
lHR Runways

Lots and lots of lights in an out as pax-never landed on 23 but in March 1977 I landed on 05 BA Trident 3 from Faro back to a freezing windy snowbound UK.

Very odd approach I believe I clearly remeber looking down on LHR as we started a long left turn presumeably back out over Staines and then another 180 and back to land,
My other memory of that runwaywas as a teenager in Stanwell watching the ill fated BOAC 707 ablaze and missing an engine make an emergency return billowing smoke and being even more horified a minute or so after it passed from view at a huge black plume of smoke as it exploded on the ground-amazing almost everyone got out..

As for the SE/NW runways I have a feint recollection of seeing what was probablya DC3 approach over approximately the junction of the A30 with the Stanwell Road- that must have been around 1960 but never saw much action on those which is no doubt while they went first.

Now its down to two runways and when the tower goes it will never be quite the same again to me
PB