PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fast jet over london
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2004, 17:29
jimgriff

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I live on the coast in the middle of Wild West Wales. On one side we have the LFA and the other side the biggest missile range in NATO outside White Sands , New Mexico. (Aberporth) Great for spotters.

Great memories of the Vulcan missile trials during the Malvinas conflict.... They used to stooge around the coast line until cleared by range control into the Bardsey gate to play on the range. I was almost driven to tears to see the Vulcan at low level just loitering in the valleys around here. I never could work out how they stayed in the air. They seemed so slow ....

Remember the last MPC for the Lightning force. They must have fired every firestreak / redtop in the inventory prior to the Lightning retiring...We went up a local hill with a scanner and watched the fireworks out to sea for a few evenings...Brill!! Lost a few Jinderviks during that lot if I remember correctly ("Opps , dropkicked the playmate"!!).

The low flying in the valleys around here is ace as well! We get to look down on the "games" quite often.

Yesterdays tally was almost normal. There are days when it is a little more hectic. You know when the fun is about to start when the RAF start putting the rubber tanks in the valleys. We then go and take "supplies" to the RAF regt Rapier A/A missile batteries stuck on nearby hilltops. They even let us play with the things(they are not live I hasten to add) Got some ace pics of A10 in the sights !!

Last edited by jimgriff; 16th Sep 2004 at 17:39.