PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Instructor & related FI questions
Old 16th Sep 2004, 11:31
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I wonder how many of you who replied here had to build their hours as instructors. (I didn't ) And I wonder how many of you had the taxpayer pay for your hours building. (Not mine) I think it is a bit unfair to pick on those who spend a lot of money to fullfill their dream and need that job to find a better job that they can survive on.
In good schools low time instructors are under constant supervision and you do not let them loose on complete newbies.
Until now I have not seen a lot of ideas how to make the system better. Instructing is for the moment the only way to build hours for most of the low time pilots on this planet. Not everyone can join the army. I have friend who is on her way to become a CHPL. And you know what? She will probably not get a job because she is a woman. This industry is often full of prejudices. Not a lot of hours? Bad pilot. That is sad. Instead trying to help low time pilots they have to feel guilty.

I have not seen any statistics about training accidents and the hours of the instructors. Therefore it is difficult to decide if the system is really as bad as some of you think.

Until now, most rulemaking agencies seem to think, that a low time pilot can be a good instructor. Otherwise they would have changed this years ago.

Most of the low time instructors I met tried to make the best job possible. Which I can not say about most of the high time instructors I met.

But now I give up.