PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nice Send Off & Good Luck
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2004, 09:43
AVIACO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is slightly off topic, but I recently flew on a Continental 777 from LGW to IAH and it was the Captain's last flight too. He made a beautiful PA thanking all of todays and yeterdays and yesteryears passengers for flying with Continental and for thus helping to pay his mortage, fund his kids through school and enabling to take his wife on her dream holiday. It was a really nice touch. The Captain visited the cabin and spoke and shook hands with EVERY ONE of the passengers (fully laden flight)

There were much more PA from the cockpit than usual and he "talked" us into IAH including intermittent details about the approach and landing and taxiing.

Water cannons upon arrival at the gate area in IAH.

The PA's reminded me about the BBC TV series, Airport, and there was a BA captain called Douglas Ord who used to captain 757's on Fear of Flying courses. He also used to talk throughout every stage of the flight on the PA, explaining to nervous flyers each and every stage of the flight, every turn and every bump.

Whatever happened to Captain Ord? I haven't seen "Airport" for quite some time, but its long time since seeing him on it.

And to the retiring BA777 Captain......... thanks Sir. Have a long and happy retirement. Did you get a water cannon salute too?