PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 16th Sep 2004, 09:31
Oktas8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, long time listener, first (or seventy-first) caller. I'd like to slip my 2c worth in too if I may, talk about this for a moment, although I don't want to force my viewpoint.

Milt several of your posts are worded carelessly, such as the one below. Since you have thought about this a great deal, is it carelessness or a wind-up? I can't tell...
We have climbed to a safe height, closed down the left engine, upped the power on the right engine and settled into a steady straight cruise with wings level and found that the rudder is trimmed right foot with about one third deflection. Balance ball is in the centre even though we know we are sideslipping by about 3 degrees. Hard to tell though.

The R foot rudder plus a considerable contribution from the fin and rear right fuselage is balancing out the thrust from the R engine which would otherwise be yawing us strongly to the left.
No! R foot rudder gives a force to the LEFT. Due to LEFT slip that this causes, aerodynamic forces on the fin & rear fuselage are generated to the RIGHT, so we need even more rudder than we previously thought to maintain heading (i.e. prevent yaw). Change your plus to a minus above.

How can I stop the aircraft from slipping left? I need a force to the RIGHT. Some horizontal component of lift could provide the necessary.

Why can't I have
-Yawing moments balance by having rudder deflection moment opposing thrust / drag asymmetry moment, and
-Sideways (slip-inducing) forces balance by having horizontal component of lift force opposing rudder deflection force?

cheers,
O8