PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL(H) - international or not?!!
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2004, 08:22
Col

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATPL(H) - international or not?!!

Hi All

I'm trying to finalise my route to becoming a "worthy" pilot (from scratch). These are my plans...

Qualify as a CFII. Spend first year or so getting 1,000+ hours. Sign up for correspondence course for ATPL(H)... erh! this is where I'm not entirely clear...

I had assumed (wrong of me I know!) that the ATPL(H) was international but it seems that depending on which country you may wish to work in, each has it's own stipulations as to what EXTRA you will need to do to qualify for their version.

For example, in Australia - take a couple of exams, have 750 hours and you're in. In the UK, take all ATPL(H) training AGAIN, take course of multi-engine flying, take flying as an instructor sees fit and you might be OK.(cynical I know, but what instructing school isn't going to say "you need a few hundred more hours mate... sign here... we'll help you with that?!)

Is this the mess that it seems? Is it worth getting an ATPL(H) in this case? I had thought that going the ATPL(H) route would avoid getting a CPL(H) for each country - also requiring more ground school and more instruction.

Someone tell me this isn't so!! Or at least a little help in clarifying things for me, please.....