PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings Scheme thread
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2004, 22:58
Simon_Sez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CTC Wings Scheme thread

This thread will, from today, 15/09/2004, be used to discuss the CTC Wings Scheme, the new name for what used to be called the CTC-McAlpine Cadetship Programme. I'll start it with the post I already put up on the "old" thread earlier today.

NOTE: In effect, the thread entitled "CTC-McAlpine/Easyjet/JMC etc" should be used for reference only and further posts on the Wings scheme should be made here.

Regards,

Simon.

Well, where to start.

Firstly, I'm very, very, ecstatically happy to report that I got through to Stage 3.

I won't go into too many details about the assessment day as most of the format has been described in previous posts. So, any newbees can do exactly what I did and read the whole thing!

However, there are a few VERY important points to note, points that were only finalised a few days before my Phase 2 assessment day on Tuesday, September 14th, 2004.

1. The scheme is now known as "The CTC Wings Scheme". McAlpine Aviation has been 100% bought out by CTC, so no longer have anything to do with it. I'm going to suggest to the moderators that we start a new thread as this one is quite dated in most parts and for any newbees, I think it'd be helpful for them and indeed everyone else, if we had up to date info and advice.

2. The initial training period has been revamped. After Stage 4, when the candidate is selected for training, each individual is analysed and their level of flying experience is assessed. PPL v No PPL for example.
CTC have decided, (sensibly) that those with flying experience would be wasting their time and CTC's time with training on aspects already covered in their PPL's and therefore neither party should incur the cost (investment for CTC/bond for the candidate) of doing the same thing over again.
So, CTC have announced that candidates with TEN HOURS OR LESS flying experience, go through a "Foundation" course. This entails training up to NZ PPL level for approx 12 weeks. THE COST OF THIS IS SEPERATE FROM THE BOND AND MUST BE PAID BY THE CANDIDATE AT A COST OF APPROX £3,000.

Now, personally, I'm gonna get extremely annoyed if people start arguing about this and saynig "CTC are ripping us off blah-dee-blah-dee-blah". This is the way it is and you can't do anything about it so go sit in the corner and keep quiet.

3. The CTC-ATP scheme has merged with the CTC Wings Scheme in a number of ways.
Firstly, the age limit for entrants to the Wings scheme has increased to "30 years of age on the date of application". This is in line with the ATP scheme.
Also, the number of airlines CTC deal with in both aspects is increasing. easyJet and Thomas Cook are still there, as well as Britannia, Monarch and a few others I can't remember at this time. Two further "major carriers" are to be announced in the very near future.

4. Applications for the Wings Scheme should now be made at the following address - www.ctcaviation.com/wings and NOT www.ctc-mcalpine.com. It's nice to see this change because at the Stage 2 Assessment day yesterday, they were unaware applications were still done through the old site. There is a press release dated 14/09/2004 with the updated info announcement.

There are other little changes in regards to expenses in New Zealand etc but what I have above will suffice for the time being. I hope many of you find it useful.

The source for all the above information was Mr. Lee Woodward in his presentation at the start of the Stage 2 assessment day. He joined CTC this year and is the Chief Training Pilot on the 757. He's taking CPxx to Brunei next week to start their training!

I just got in touch with Scroggs, the forum moderator, to see if we should start a new "CTC Wings Scheme" thread but until I hear back from him, we'll make do with this.

Regards,

Simon.

Last edited by Wee Weasley Welshman; 1st Dec 2005 at 05:30.