PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CTC McAlpine/easyJet/JMC Sponsorship Selection
Old 15th Sep 2004, 21:49
onawingandaprayer61

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I could kick myself

Hello guys,

I've been reading these forums (and this one in particular) with interest and I have a query. It's a "what's your personal opinion?" type question.

My situation is this:

I have good GCSEs (A & B grades) and 3 A Levels (back in the day ) in Physics (B), Mathematics (C) and General Studies (B). However, there is an unfortunate blip on my record. I've just graduated with an honours degree in Physics with Space Science and Technology from a good British university. The problem is that it's a Douglas Herd...a Third I messed up, I admit it. Moving on...!

I was needless to say a little gutted about this but that won't get me anywhere so I'm cracking on with things. I won't bore you all with the whole "I'm fascinated by aircraft, always have been, etc." as I'm sure we're all in agreement on this matter

I should note that I'm currently 22, took a year out after sixth form and have had good, varied and progressively responsible work experience. I am also spending the next 9 months or so gaining my PPL whilst working in a job where I have considerable responsibility and which is allowing me to develop all of the key skills a modern pilot trainee needs to show evidence of (esp. in sponsorship selection).

So here is my question: how do you think my chances of sponsorship have been affected? Now, of course, the answer is in the negative but what is your take on my chances bearing in mind I am investing in a PPL (so I don't end up in an interview situation explaining why I want to be a pilot, why I think I'd be good at it, etc...whilst never having taken the controls of a plane before). Incidentally, I have had a number of trial flights and start the PPL next month.

Any feedback appreciated. I just want to feel you guys out about this.

Thanks for any input,

onawingandaprayer61

P.P.S. Of course the anooying thing is that, without the dodgy degree class, I'd probably be roughly on par (on paper) with those applying straight from school!

P.S. Well done Simon mate...a ride in a sim beckons