PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report on 1999 B757 crash at Girona finally published
Old 15th Sep 2004, 20:37
Bally Heck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was a bit perplexed by one part of the report which no-one seems to have picked up on. And which the investigators seem to have passed over.

However, at the time the autothrottle was disconnected a power correction had just been made to 1.51 EPR, a higher than usual approach setting (around 1.2 EPR)
Higher than usual approach setting is a bit of an understatement! It's not a million miles of take-off thrust. In several thousand hours of flying the 757, I have never seen an approach EPR much above 1.3!

The question begging to be answered is why did the autothrottle make this power change? Looking at the graphs, it lseems that the autothrottle was responding to a speed loss from around 152 knots to 127 knots over a period of around 12 seconds! Also considerably slower than the Vref of 141 knots! The ground speed at the same period went from 132 knots to 123 knots!

The report says that windshear and turbulence didn't significantly affect the performance of the aircraft.

It seems to me that that was one very big burst of windshear at a very low altitude (250ish radalt) A loss of 25 knots!!!

That the captain disconnected the autopilot and autothrottle with this high power setting (possibly because he was concerned by these changes?) left him with a very unstable situation.

Am I missing something here? That looks very much like low level windshear to me. And the occurence of that windshear seems to have destabilised the approach to such an extent that the subsequent hard landing(s) occurred.