PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming an Instructor & related FI questions
Old 15th Sep 2004, 19:07
[email protected]

Received 633 Likes on 275 Posts
Rotorbee - I am just repeating what others have said about the Central Flying School generally and the Helicopter element in particular.
Is there a civilian organisation that has 10 to 15 very experienced (between 2000 and 6000 hrs) in one place, has an almost unlimited supply of Squirrel helicopters, a 4-week groundschool, a syllabus that covers everything from effects of controls to mountain flying and has rich arab nations queueing up to fill places? CFSH exam wing are invited all over the world to assess and examine military RW operations, there must be a reason for it.

The civilian world constantly benefits from the experience of ex-military instructors taking up posts in the real world.

I don't claim that military pilots are better, there are many outstanding pilots who have never put on a uniform.

I think the 1000 hours statistic is out of date and stems from the days when a mil pilot on his first tour could notch up 1000 hrs in 2 years and maturity (or lack of it) was more the cause of accidents rather than the number of hours.

The biggest advantage the military has is in its ability to standardise pilots and instructors - the number and frequency of check-rides means that it is far less likely for an ill-informed instructor to get away with teaching poor techniques to students.

The civilian GA pilot suffers further because there is no requirement for post graduate (PPLH) training and so no-one bothers - therefore pilots often compound poor practices and errors and never improve, despite getting more hours.