PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The yaw/slip thread (merged) aka Aerodynamics 101
Old 15th Sep 2004, 13:50
ft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JT,
fun indeed. It is interesting how you know that you know things... and then when that knowledge is questioned, it turns out to be belief rather than knowledge until you have thought it over in more detail. It is always useful exercise! Sometimes, and this is my favourite, it turns out you were in fact wrong all along. Gotta love learning!

Milt, I still suspect you of pulling my leg. Are you bribed by JT to keep the discussion going for his amusement? Agreed, very high-scoring contribution and definitely a runner-up.

However, the opposition is fierce and albeit close, my final vote goes to Bellerophon, as brief as his participation has been. It is certainly no shame in coming a close second to a statement such as:

“The gliding fraternity use a piece of cotton, stuck to the outside of the canopy to achieve the same result, but on Concorde it tended to come off in the cruise, so a sideslip indicator it had to be!”

I must confess to perhaps being somewhat partial, having previously read very interesting posts by the abovementioned gentleman. Not to mentioned being corrected by him when my view of the world was wro... ahem... departed somewhat from the one considered reality by the majority of the population.

I think we should have established early on what position of the rudder we based our respective views upon though, to avoid a bit of confusion. Centered, towards dead engine or towards live engine.

I do think we'd all have a jolly good time arguing until we ran out of envelopes to scribble on if we could cancel the geographical inconveniences separating us all from a suitable common outlet for malt-based refreshment.

Cheers,
Fred