PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flightsimmers, how many of you here and how do you interact it with real flying?
Old 15th Sep 2004, 12:47
Hampshire Hog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those contributing to Mazzy's diary will know that I have already 'acknowledged openly' that I am a flight simmer.

It was a very old version of MS Flight Sim that started my interest in flying. Then I did a trial lesson and it scared the life out of me! Then got some jump-seat rides in airliners, when you could still do that.

More flight simming and finally plucked up the courage to do more lessons. That got me hooked on the real thing. Thing is, it doesn't hurt if you crash the sim (or the computer)

I agree with much of what has been said. Flight dynamics on FS 2004 smaller planes is poor. Useful for instruments and practising checklists though. Scenery add-ons - especially British Airports help (Airports are good for learning taxiways etc!). I've flown a real 737 simulator, but never tried the real thing so can't really comment on the airliner accuracy (although the add-ons are getting more and more complex). I use the keyboard for rudder (because I'd rather spend my money on real flying than expensive bits for the PC) and a Logitech joystick - not the best, but does the job.

I also use 'Fly ll' on the Apple Mac. Better flight dynamics, but difficult to use and the scenery/maps are abysmal. Weather generation is quite good though.

I'm interested in X-Plane - because it works on the Mac and there are scenery add-ons available.

C-Bert, where did you get the Warrior for FS?

HH