PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Learning to glide in the UK
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2004, 21:23
MLS-12D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Gertrude's impression is consistant with the usual method of training (and my own experience); but certainly there are intensive courses available.

To the best of my knowledge, the Ulster Gliding Club is the only club in Northen Ireland. They don't offer a week-long course, but I suppose that you could book two or three of their two-day courses consecutively.

The Lasham Gliding Society (which actually is an association of several smaller clubs) offers five-day courses, including "solo in a week". On-site accomodation is also available.

there's no gliding clubs to speak of in Ireland, where I live
Ummm ... do you have some reason not to patronize the Dublin Gliding Club? This article mentions that they offer two-week intensive courses. Or you could try Kilkenny (the website seems to be down, but telephone 056-772-1427 or 056-772- 1483 for more information).

I hope that this helps. You can make mine a virtual G&T!

MLS-12D

P.S. If time is more important than money, you might be well advised to look beyond the British Isles for your training, and go where suitable weather is more certain. Australia has outstanding soaring conditions, and would be a wonderful vacation.