PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - lots of questions and answers hard to come by
Old 14th Sep 2004, 13:13
G-DANM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a young person going to uni next year I have already examined the routes you are talking about. Firstly I agree totally with Flypuppy, go to university and get a degree. It gives you a backup after training particularly in getting an interim job good enough to pay off your loan. Plus once out of university banks are more likely, rather than less likely, to supply you with a loan due to, in their eyes a greater ability to pay it back and you having more world experience (imagine you are a bank manager faced with an 18 year old asking for him to hand over £60,000!!). Many Uni's offer Aviation related degrees with many offering you a discounted opportunity to acheive your PPL (Leeds do Aviation Technology where a PPL is offered although I already have one so am taking management with it instead). These are brilliant allowing you to work in the industry if it all goes wrong.

I believe acheiving a PPL before undertaking training is generally a better indication of your ability to undertake training, how do you know if you haven't already tried piloting a plane?

I have got a PPL with Night Rating allowing me to go straight out of uni and enter Modular or Integrated training for a lesser expense (and so a smaller loan). I noticed you didn't mention Modular training, you should seriously consider this as you can achieve the same as an Integrated Course at your own pace and at about half the price. Schools like Oxford and EPTA even offer modular MCC and JOT now so there is alot going for Modular Training. However, the best advice I have received from asking around is to concentrate on getting good A-Levels and a Degree you enjoy.

P.S
Make sure you get a Class 1 early as a flying mate of mine was determined to skip University and go to training and then couldn't get a Class 1 and so is in limbo now about what to do (plus he is heart broken having built himself up to starting training)