PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2004, 20:03
Brian Dixon
A really irritating PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Mr Purdey,
welcome back to the thread. I trust this finds you well.

The waypoint change seems pretty cruicial to the negligence claim, so I wonder if I may put a few questions to you.

1. What time was the waypoint change made?
2. What height was the Chinook when the change was made?
3. What was the speed of the Chinook?
4. What was the heading at the time of the change?
5. Onto what heading did the Chinook turn (if at all) immediately after the waypoint change?
6. What was the rate of climb (if at all any) immediately after the waypoint change?

All answers need to have factual evidence to support them, as opposed to theory, speculation, best guess, best fit etc. If you cannot answer these questions with absolutely no doubt whatsoever, then I don't see how the verdict can remain.

To answer your point on Campbell's book, he bases his theory on the point that the Chinook entering cloud was a breach of regulations. That is, of course, assuming that both pilots were in agreement and made a conscious decision to do so. In other words, entering cloud was a deliberate action. I would have to say that without the benefit of a cockpit voice recorder, one will never know if this was, indeed, a deliberate action. Surely the pilots deserve the benefit of the doubt?

Ark - Chinook Crash by Stueart Campbell. Save your cash and get it from the library, if you have to (IMHO)

I look forward to the answers to my questions, Mr Purdey.

My best, as always.
Brian

"Justice has no expiry date" - John Cook