PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious Advice!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2004, 14:56
TRon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to remember there are of course living expenses on top of this. I was not integrated, but over the 18 months it took me whilst I was training living costs (and I hardly went out!) was 13k just in petrol, food, entertainment, accomodation (which I believe Oxford dont include).

Not wanting to pi$$ on his fire, but if he instructs or gets a turboprop job which is traditionally the route most take after training the salaries are not going to cover the loan and allow him enough to live. Instructing if you are lucky will pull in 12-13k. A turboprop job with BA Citiexpress (who pay well for turboprop) was 20k all of which will leave you little to live on.

That said, there are not many pilots you meet nowadays that arent in a lot of debt somewhere down the line so it will not be an isolated problem, but if he cant be bothered to do you a business plan has he really explored all his options training wise?

Not wanting to open the can of worms regarding integrated vs modular but it is a cheaper option, with no loss of quality. You just need to plan a bit more (which sounds like he wont do!).

There is also the very real possibility that he will have to pay for his type rating (20k) or an instructors rating (5k).

All in all I would nail him down for a little more than a grunt or tantrum.....there will be far more to come over the next two years!....trust me!

It took me from Sept 2002 to June 2004 to get on a 737. All in all I spent 36k on training plus living. Fortunately didn't have to pay my type rating thanks to CTC.

I read this and thought it was quite apt!:

"There are valley men and mountain men. The valley men look up and excuse themselves with sayings such as, 'I could have been up there if wasn't for....'

The mountain men simply smile and look down. They know what it took to get there".

Frank Dick. UK Athletics director and Daley Thompson's Coach.

Best of luck, it's a long rocky road but worth it!

TRon