PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR pilots breaking 250kIAS limit OCAS
Old 21st Mar 2001, 18:16
scanscanscan

High speed below ten in a 250 kt restricted area?
May I suggest not on a dark night over the sea, or with terrain around,not on straight in approaches, or at altitude airports.
Anymore excuses why I should not do them?
Well?.. 20000.00 hours as a wanabe safe pilot,and based upon what I saw as a F/O.
convinced me.
Still not convinced?
You could read the AA twin jet crash report and the Gf 072 posts on pprune, also its accident report when released.
Some airline sops were changed regarding "Speeds allowed below ten" after others crashed.
May I suggest, pilots always seriously pre-plan their descent and speed profiles, and always remember and observe when programming that "speed below ten".. is..TEN.. AGL.., into high altitude airports.
Also remain aware of what your "actual" height and speed above the airport is?
Please read BA incidents into African airports.
IMHO the main plot is servival,not to become a fatal statistic,to make it to retirement.
Never forget everything out there is silently trying to kill you, it is the unexpected one you don't see that creeps up and bites you.
I needed the extra thinking time, maybe you do not, however you have been warned, it only takes one mistake at altitude airports and if specially selected Ba and AA crews can do it, anyone can.

------------------
We will do the drill according to the amendments to the amendments I er think?