PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2004, 19:38
Jack The Lad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ILS

I agree with much of what you say and yes, IF the limit set for pilots is VALID, then it should equally apply to any other profession or occupation that holds others lives potentially at risk due to the impairmnet of the operator, due alchohol. That would extend the range of relevant professions quite substantially. And why not? You are absolutely correct.

Whether the limit set for pilots is right or too severe, I can't answer that, but we do know what the rules are and we should find out how we can ensure we abide by those rules. I can sympathise with those that have marginally broken the rules, but in many cases, the limits have been 'well breached', way beyond being able to claim a bit of ignorance or latitude.

Basil, my comment about 'we have all done it before' was said for effect. My point is that things have changed dramatically in recent times and as I have said before, compare the analogy of drink driving. 30 years ago, it was considered 'good sport' if you didn't get caught. Now it is, quite rightly accepted as totally unacceptable social behaviour that risks lives and is worthy of a jail sentence. I don't know how old you are, but ask your Dad if he ever did drink and drive! He would be an exception if he said NO.

Given the changes in limits for pilots and the now high profile nature of the offence, to keep on ignoring it and risk getting caught must be seen as the height of stupidity or represent a very serious individual problem that is out of control. In either case, the individual is a risk to society.

An accountant can get away with it; all he risks is his professional indemnity when he c*cks up. A pilot, bus driver, car driver, train driver, you name it, risks lives as do surgeons and all manner of other professionals.

I stand by what I said; no-one can claim ignorance of the rules.