PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot arrested at Manchester (merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2004, 18:39
ILS 119.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with most of the points made on this thread. However, the most interesting one is the legal limit and why it is not applied to other professions. I agree with our limit but how can a police officer, doctor, surgeon or other such profession be allowed to work with a higher limit? For example the officer testing you or the doctor taking a sample maybe below the drink/driving limit but well into ours, therefore is the specimen justified. If we cannot do our job when above the limit then how can the others do their jobs. If we can make mistakes (as alleged) when just above the 1/4 drink driving limit then I'm sure other professions can make bigger mistakes when slightly under the drink/driving limit. Do you get my drift?
In my view, and I hope this reaches the papers, all top professions who have a responsibility for human life should come under the same rules. Regardless.
How many deaths are caused by doctors/surgeons being over the limit? We don't know as it is not regulated.
How many deaths are caused by police officers being over the limit? We don't know as it is not regulated.
How many deaths are caused by pilots/controllers being over the limit? We don't know and will never will as it is now regulated.
From now on I'm going to make an effort to ensure the other professions are regulated as ours. It is not fair that we are subjected to this regulation without other professions being involved.
Please send me a pm if you are supportive of this cause. I only need numbers of support not names and addresses.
ILS 119.5