PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic Questions - the Master Thread! (Merged)
Old 12th Sep 2004, 12:50
Downtown1994

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys, this is the first time I have posted on pprune.

I have quite frequently read the threads and questions posted about Virgin and read the very informative replies from Scroggs. I joined Virgin about 18 months ago on the B747-400 fleet from a short haul multi-sector company. I was a self improver and have no military experience.

I do not know scroggs and I guess that I am on the other fleet. I can say that I have agreed with most everything he has had to say about Virgin and its lifestyle and his responses are very fair, honest and balanced.

How has Virgin been for me? Well I have no real complaints about the company at all.

I joined at a time when the final stages of the recent pay/scheduling agreement was coming to a close. I can not comment about life before that but then I am sure you are not interested in that any way. My roster has been very stable. I have had no changes in the last year except for those which were induced by me by accepting some rest day working. That caused 3 roster changes due to the knock on effect. I have maintained an average of 4 trips a month and have usually got around 12 days off at home per month. Occasionally up to 15 and never as low as 10. On the B747-400 fleet our routes presently are in the main West bound so we do not suffer the East to West change in time zones. That of course may change.

On the subject of take home pay.. well I contribute the 6% to the pension and have received my first annual increment. My take home is around £2800. This has the potential to be quite a lot better over the next 12 months. In addition as Scroggs pointed out we receive our allowances down route in cash. How much of that you bring home is of course down to the individual. Sufficient to say that I have never had to put my hand in my own pocket down route and invariably bring home some cash after eating, drinking, entertainment and occasional gift. I don't sit in my room. Of course while I am away I am not dipping into my current account at home either.

As has been said before.. Long Haul flying is about lifestyle and not about flying. I don't think that I fully appreciated this before I started. You really should take this into account before applying to any long haul outfit. If you are into flying for the hands on then it may not be for you. Alternatively you can satisfy that element in your own time, as a lot of pilots do. The flying can be monotonous and on those rare occasions you fly with someone who is less than communicative can be quite painful. However, once you get your head round that then the lifestyle can be very enjoyable. I make sure that I do as much down route that I can, such as admin that I would do at home. Quite often in the cruise.
I try and enjoy my time down route such as diving in the caribbean. Most guys have a hobby that they can partake in be it training, skiing, sailing etc. It is not always a party! You will have to be prepared to do things alone on occasions. This was a bit of a shock for me at first.

The guys in the main are great but like everywhere, there is the odd one that you would prefer not to fly with. That's life!

Swapping trips is quite possible and is being made easier with a pilot contact directory.

Commuting can be an issue. As Scroggs said, people commute from a long way. I am only able to drive and quite often my Captain will be back in Paris, Nice, Brussels, Newcastle, Dublin or wherever else he may have appeared from before I have negotiated the M25 and for probably little cost. The girls also commute from far a field and do more trips than us on a lot less money so it is perfectly reasonable. I rarely stay the night before but on a particularly early flight I will stay at one of the hotels that we have an arrangement with for £30. Arriving late so I can spend as much time at home but avoid the traffic. That is in fact one of the big bonuses of long haul.. the ability to live pretty well where you like.

I have taken my partner and friends on trips on several occasions. Only once so far has she not got on. It can be difficult but if you pick your flights carefully, not that great a deal.

In essence, if you love your hands on flying and want to fly 5 days on the trot, 4 sectors a day and see the same piece of tarmac at the end of the day as the start. Virgin is definitely not for you. If you want a lifestyle career company then come to Virgin.

The pilot retention is very good so I guess that must say a lot about the company.

Anyhow, breakfast calls! (yes I am in a hotel right now on the East coast).