PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are Aussie ATCs Inefficient?
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2004, 08:18
TIMMEEEE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like some individuals like to gripe even if they were given direct tracking from say Darwin to a 12 mile final 16R Sydney.

From my limited 14 years or so operating both domestically and internationally, I would have to say the guys and girls in ATC in Oz do overall a bloody good job.

When help is required they are there to assist and do so efficiently and with great skill I might add.

Had to shut down an engine some years back and dump fuel at some ungodly hour of the morning over YMML and return.
After a pan call was made they left us alone for a few minutes after clearing us for descent, monitored our flight path while we sorted ourselves out and anticipated the fact we needed to dump around 15,000 kg of fuel.
Their vectors were spot on and commands both timely and well anticipated seeing that we had to perform several checklists before our return in very average weather conditions.
Never once did they interrupt while we sorted and managed the problem.

Another time while delayed on a Singapore-Sydney service and pushing curfew, the controllers cleared us from the Australian FIR Boundary near Bali direct to Rivet, then Glenfield for a landing runway 07.
Needless to say we were unable to obtain a dispensation, but thanks to good controlling landed at 10:57 pm.

The shear professionalism of these guys is right up there in my book and saved our company and pax alot of inconvenience.
Sure, we dont always get what we want but there's always a reason for it.

Stop your whinging guys, venture offshore and see whats out there in the big bad world, then I reackon you'll realise our ATC's are right up there with the best.