PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JIA to get high speed exit
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2004, 19:35
UnderRadarControl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi SortieIII,

Runway occupancy time is the factor that determines how many aircraft can land on any given runway during a specific period.

There are many factors that affect rwy occupancy time (off the top of my head):

- Types of aircraft using the runway, ie. B747 will take longer to vacate than an A319 for instance;
- The airport infrastructure, ie runway length, type and position of rapid exit taxiways;
- The inbound sequence of aircraft, ie. don't have 30 eta HGV at the same time when they could be spread out a bit; this is where arrival slots fit into the picture along with the sequencing tool;
- ATC proficiency, not wasting extra miles to touchdown; Also, ATC staffing, current limits (i believe) are 45/hour max on js app. They should be having 3 or 4 sectors so that the load is lightened.
- Pilot proficiency, planning on a making a rapid exit taxiway instead of rolling to the end and taking a 90' turn off, ATC had a memo from ALPA saying we may ask the pilot to land deep/short or plan to vacate at a specific taxiway (the land short/deep bit I as an atc will not use, because if he lands too short or overruns, who's ass will be in a sling then???). I will ask the pic to plan to vacate at a specific exit though...
- LVP's throw the whole thing into total chaos at JIA. With the amount of traffic at the airport, I would imagine a ground movement radar would improve the situation a bit...
- Weather, the highveld is notorius for TS in summer, and as an ATC this is hard to work with as the pilot can't always take the assigned headings due to CB's. I don't know what the sequencing tool will do wrt storms.

So, no, you can't blame any one person because of high runway occupancy times (although I think this is the case here, it'll always mostly be the ATC for absolutely anything, and then I guess the pilot). The MAIN culprit here is ACSA, because JIA is an antiquated design for an airport. They have spent millions on the new domestic terminal, but the airside is suffering. The only recent alterations done were to fillet the current turnoffs so the A346 could operate there. Many many older airports had rapid exits, so I don't know what has stalled the program here.... And all the equipment ATNS is buying/has bought, isn't going to help much until the landside is brought in line with the requirements...

They needed rapid exit taxiways a long time ago, and I guess its the $$$ that matter at the end of the day. I sincerely pray the rumour I heard of a rapid exit taxiway being planned was not for 03L was not true (although I have heard it from more than one source...). Last time I checked most of the arrivals in peak times are on 03R.

But bear in mind, I no longer work in SA, and these are only my opinions...

URC.