PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR pilots breaking 250kIAS limit OCAS
Old 15th Mar 2001, 17:09
JamesG

Thumbs up

eyeinthesky

As a UK PPL holder I fully support your view. Perhaps your perspective is made all the more telling by the realisation that it is quite legal for PPL/IMC holders to operate under VFR in Class G down to 1800M visibility.

My estimations suggest that 250kts means covering approximately 1600 metres every 15 seconds - not much space/time to see and avoid in a claggy sky.

Streamline makes the point that operating airliners in UCAS is dangerous, however Hugmonster replies pragmaticlly that it is inevitable in some parts of UK airspace - both make valid points which all pilots operating in UK class G airspace would do well to consider.

This issue is not about preventing risk per se (i.e. ban aircraft), it is about sensible risk mitigation within a real/existing environment.

I hope that Hugmonster (whose advice a few years ago helped me to understand the need for a profesional approach to flying) is correct in his assertion that there are wind up merchants operating on this thread; for the saner views expressed, may I thank the aviation professionals living up to their name.

As a UK PPL, let me say again that I respect the integrity of CAS (no penetrations without clearance in 200hrs+) and generally do everything to stay away from heavy metal, as our a/c types do not mix well - e.g. San Diego 727/172 midair. Everyone is entitled to fly in UCAS, but please lets be sensible about it.

We must all remember that we have the choice as to whether we fly or not, but people on the ground under the subsequent wreckage do not.

Surely following the law and sticking to 250kts is not too much to ask for?

I do not normally post on this forum, as it is aimed at the professional pilot, but I hope that you will indulge my interest in this particular thread, as I might be the light a/c coming the other way.