PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oil Patch Operations and Aviation Safety Issues
Old 11th Sep 2004, 12:09
Buitenzorg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depressing.

Having worked in the oil patch (non-flying) until a few years ago, I can categorically say that the previous posters such as cpt, skydriller and Tynecastle are correct. Oil companies will do the minimum they can get away with, in order to look good.

What to me is even more depressing though, is the stupidity displayed by management in our industry. I've worked for one operator where all managers had a definite interest in their employees' well-being, and we were treated very fairly. People who were technically good, but lacked interest in the people who worked with/for them, simply didn't make it into management. This company consistently turned a healthy profit, year after year.

Then there's the example of Southwest Airlines, another company almost fanatical in it's concern for it's employees. The financially healthiest airline in the US, the only one to continue with a profit agter 9/11, or to avoid lay-offs.

Yet these beancounting still don't get it.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES, AND THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

If you keep staring at the bottom line, you will never see the reasons why the ink is turning from black to red.