PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orient Thai
Thread: Orient Thai
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2004, 11:24
topman999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From foreign worker....

"(c) Now HERE'S the teller, "A retired 50+ captain or FO retired (ideally no major committments like kids!) with a decent bit of money put aside".
In other words, be prepared to have to dip into your savings, to subsidise this job."

U R incorrect. What I mean is that one cannot expect to come home after say 5 years (or any number of yrs in the relative short term for that matter) with a lot of money. I am not saying savings from the west will need to be touched, I am saying that this job will not provide much money for retirement IF the said pilot retires in the west.
I wonder how much UA, CX or BA pay their 747 captains. My guess is somewhere between $150k - $200k per yr. So in other words 3-4 times orient Thai, yet it is well known that cost of living in Hong Kong/London/Chicago is easily 10 times that of Bangkok. See where Im going...its called being relative. How could any western 747 pilot expect western 747 pilot wages in bkk given the above comparison. Its ridiculous. The present offer is at the very worst fair, and frankly speaking I think its a good offer.
Mgt are very approachable as well I am told