PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair and BALPA/IALPA
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2004, 10:40
Aloue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a number of lawyers who would love to take some FR cases on.
Whatever about lawyers wanting to take cases on, they will only do so if they can hope to win – and to do that they need some evidence that will stand up in court. Not only do they need evidence, but they also need SOMEBODY who is willing to stand up and take the case. We need to “get real about the realities” here. There are very few people who are willing to do this. Many, many people have left Ryanair having been abused. Many currently believe themselves to be abused. There are sufficient numbers of such people, the majority of whom are not pilots, to open up the entire can of worms. Interestingly, they never do so even after leaving. Which makes all claims of bullying and intimidation no more than “rumour”. Ryanair employees may “know” or “claim” that this is not really a “rumour” – but until it is proved it cannot be claimed to be a fact.

Another problem is that Ryanair staff know how to interpret and decode Ryanair memos, etc. The memo from a middle manager in STN “encouraging” pilots to attend a meeting has been discussed – but not posted on PPRUNE. The feeling abroad is that the memo brought obvious pressure onto STN pilots. BUT, perhaps a non-Ryanair person might not see that memo as being as intimidating as a Ryanair employee? Can somebody post it so that we can have a look?

To change tack slightly, is it not interesting that nobody ever seems to have heard of a Ryanair crewmember being unfit for duty due to fatigue? I don’t have anything on fatigue, but I do have one memo, which I have copied and reproduced below. It concerns staff sickness and has been regularly sent to individual staff members, including those who have a legal obligation not to turn up for work if unfit.

I think a Ryanair employee will know how to interpret this document. Is it also not rather interesting that Ryanair only seems to employ cabin crew that are sick for very few days a year? What excellent selection methods they must have. I am sure that the following memo has nothing to do with it. Here is the memo:
Over the past year over 10,000 days have been lost through absenteeism in RYANAIR; which equates to 7 un-crewed aircraft every day, all year around!!!.

Your attendance record shows that you have been absent from work on 5 occasions during the last 12 months. This high frequency of absence cannot be sustained, as other people within your area have to pick up additional work in your absence.

All absences in the future will be closely monitored and, I need to see a dramatic and sustained improvement in your attendance in the months ahead.

Please confirm receipt of this letter and measures you will take to eliminate further absence from work. If you have any queries on the above please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Dxxxx XXxxxx