PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RYANAIR pilots breaking 250kIAS limit OCAS
Old 15th Mar 2001, 13:12
Streamline

HugMonster

I think I do exactly know what this airspace division means, I have got 17 years + in the business.

My only comment is that any substantial airport should have a CONTROLLED airspace.

If a substantial amount of passengers have to relay for their lives on visual separation only then that’s a disgrace to the system and I am surprised it happens in the UK.

I do not fly into Newcastle I admit, but if you claim that 2.3 mil pax go trough uncontrolled airspace, then the UK must be considered as an underdeveloped country as far as ATC is concerned.

And YES I request short cuts as much as I can but if they take me out of controlled airspace then I refuse.

To put you completely in the picture, I have had a near mid-flight collision IN controlled airspace because the controller screwed up.

When two aircraft head on, each at 800 Km/hr that is relative speed of 1600 this means that at 3.6 seconds before impact they are still 1600 m apart, impossible to see unless at night in clear skies.

At 250 kts IAS that would still be 300 kts TAS at fL100 or roughly 1200 km /hr relative, still impossible to see when head on.

At 210 Kts at Fl 50 you would sill be about 1000m at 3.6 seconds

Thank you very much, by the time you realise this, 2 seconds have elapsed.

Satisfied with this reality ?

[This message has been edited by Streamline (edited 15 March 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Streamline (edited 15 March 2001).]