PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 'Crash Landing' at Entebbe
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2004, 18:01
eTec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from EBB, I was one of the FD crew on board NWI. Some of the reports are accurate, some not so.

Dynamite Dean for one. I am sorry you did not hear the PA telling the crew that fuel was about to be dumped, however, we did inform the crew, pax, ATC both on 126.9 and EBB control.

From my point of view and that of the cabin crew, a fantastic job was done. Yes I hear you say "well he would say that", but we did. From engine failure to landing was 31 mins (from ACMS)!

"The bird was heavy". Yes it was, 161 T to be precise and a landing into EBB 3900' amsl gave us a TAS of approx 208kts, IAS 174kts.

I do not know if you have knowledge of H & H Apts, but the landing was "text book" straight down the line. An excellent job with full rev on the live engine. The CSD did an excellent job of prepping CC + cabin, the NITS was text book too.

I know we train for such eventualities, but when it happens on the line it does take you by surprise and the then the training kicks in. This all sound far to "yank" speak, so I will sign off.

Finally, thank you Leander for your kind comments.

PS. D Dean, the fues pins in the tyres did their job thus making it safer for the Fire Crews in attendance.