PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 'Crash Landing' at Entebbe
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2004, 16:54
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
767 Fuel Dumping

I was interested to read about the 76s dumping capabilities. I happened to be on BA 2232 LGW -BDA on THE sept 11th. We made it to somewhere around the Scilly Isles when word came to turn back and we then spent the next six and half hours holding over Lands End .

Obviously partly to burn off fuel and partly no doubt because we had lots and could be left there while numerous more urgent returns were sorted out. During this time the Capt made some remarks about fuel dumping and a thick white vapour trail billowed out from begind the outboard wing on my side of the plane which was on the outside of the turn( I have seen fuel vented from a 74 and I think can tell the difference from a wing tip vortex) If the venting is only on centre tank could the centrifugal force effect have drifted the centre tank dump vapour out that far as we turned??

We finally flew back to LGW with Flaps, Speed brakes and gear extended -very very noisy and bumpy ( climb power to descend !) At all stages though the Capt tried to keep us advised on what must have been a complex situation for him to deal as I doubt he was told much by anyone with and very alarming for many passengers without an explanation of what was happening with the aircraft.

However for those who grumbled about the Entebbe incident its very different to the situation I faced and there the crew just had to focus on a safe and well managed emergency return. So I am sure that crews-esp BA crews do advise the passengers when time permits but not when it gets in the way of their first priority .to fly the airplane