PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Day of Action
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2004, 02:52
flichik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlas

Copied from the AOPA forum. I rang him, but apparently he won't post here because he is banned for disagreeing with gaunty

Seems AOPA has developed vision for a change

I think the benefits outlined are tangible, even if it is only a mass transponder check!!!

Shirl

All

The day of action isn't solely about NAS. The NAS wreck is a result of a lack of cohesive Government policy for GA.

We see CASA almost daily doing their own thing on stuff like ADs, medicals etc and ignoring the FAA lead (where the majority of GA aircraft are managed). We see airservices claiming fees of up to $200 a landing at unnecessary towers and the Department looking at imposing costs on us to manage (and they admit it) a public perception.

So, the day of protest, as called by us, is about showing Govt that we have had enough of haphazard multidirectional regulation and that we are calling for cohesive well thought out policy designed to sove the problems caused by the current mish-mash of policy (including NAS).

There is an answer, we just need to get together to find it and we need to make Government listen.

The one thing I don't condone (and the rest of the Board for that matter) is any call to be contemptuous of Air Traffic Controllers or to fly in an unsafe manner. There are very few ATC actively opposed to NAS (as opposed to quietly opposed) and even the few on PPRUNE each have a multitude of user names so as to reduce that thread to around 6 real posters by my reckoning. Not a particularly representative or influential number.

So, we are flying to make ourselves heard. We will fly safely with flight plans wherever possible and on that day we urge every pilot to call ATC and check the mode C on their transponder is working properly. If it isn't, put it on the MR for checking.

At the end of the day Government will take notice and hopefully every aircraft in the fleet would have had a transponder check.

By the end of the year we should have a Government White Paper containing rational policy aimed at revitalising an industry that employs over 200,000 people and has the potential to attract significant 'export' dollars.

If we can get costs down and services up as well as making certification of new Oz aircraft easier (possible???), Harmonise RAA (ex AUF) training and PPL training so that the unbalanced competition no longer exists, to the benefit of both organisations. If we can make sure those who NEED AsA services pay for them and make the Government realise safety and security is NOT a user pays policy area, then we will have more planes, more pilots, cheaper flying, more controllers and so it goes.

Benefits for everyone!!!!

Just imagine, 10,000 foriegn pilots trained in Oz every year.

Now that has to be good.

As for the ney sayers

Andrew Kerans
VP AOPA