PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Civilian DHC-5 Buffalo
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2004, 01:04
russellackland

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I just taught (july) the last ground school class for Arctic Sunwest Charters on the DHC-5 they have in YZF. My former Commanding Officer from 442 sqn (comox) is the training pilot for ASC at this time. If you have any questions I may be able to answer more later. However to answer in general; the cost of certifying a canadian military aircraft would be absolutely cost prohibitive if it even can be done.....way too many mods. Even if you did, the useable payload wouldn't be much above 11000lbs. The aircraft up there has a capacity of 18000. They are leasing it and will make the decision to keep it (and a second) by the end of the month. It is only used for cargo. I don't have the TC docs with me anymore (mar 04 - amended) - but the they essentially recertified the A model with new max gross weights up to 49200. previously i think the max was 41000. The military A/C are close to D model but with quite a few differences. Piitch selector, no cargo smoke, no GPWS, and more stuff i am sure lacking for certifiaction. The company in Anchorage does not have their Buffalo anymore & they were only certified up to 41000 (not much payload capacity= not much profit).