PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BACX chop BRS-DUB increases BRS-CDG
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2004, 19:47
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flightmapping,

I was quoting the easyJet pilot who regularly contributes to the Motley Fool financial site. He suggested that BACx would withdraw from BRS-CDG if easyJet took on the route. That was three months ago and my 'hmm' at that time suggested I wasn't necessarily convinced. As it turned out he was right about the ski destination (the bigger surprise is that easy or Go did not do GVA before given BRS's massive ski programme - 14 weekly flights in each of the last 3 winters with more to come this winter) but wrong about Paris - so far at least.

To my mind there would be a worry if easy did start Paris and wiped off BACx entirely from the route because easy have already stated they are to abandon BRS-CPH and reduce BRS-AMS because of high charges at CPH and AMS (albeit from the Danish government at CPH at least). Both these routes were carrying high loads, especially AMS and CPH had steadily improved to over 80% in July. Paris and Amsterdam are core routes for any regional airport of any size at all.

BACx have hung in at BRS to the surprise of many. They have slugged it out with easy on BRS to GLA and to EDI for three years now and have more daily weekday rotations to these Scottish cities than easy (5 against 3 but admittedly with much smaller aircraft - the ERJ 145). It's difficult to estimate their share of this market because the CAA route stats are not broken down into individual airlines of course. Anecdotal evidence suggests the flights are not particularly well filled but some people must use them.

As for the BACx daily flights (except Sats) to FRA and to MUC the CAA July stats show a 70% rise in pax nos over the previous July for MUC (average load 70%) and a 27% rise for FRA (average load 60%). The fares are usually high I know because an acquaintance who lives in Frankfurt regularly commutes to Bristol and finds it cheaper to use LHR and land transport to Bristol - he used to fly Ryanair Hahn-Bournemouth then by road to Bristol before FR abandoned it. So BACx might be making money on their BRS German routes at least.

As for Flybe on EXT-CDG there was a note on a very good Exeter Airport unofficial site a couple of months ago that the airline want to start a twice daily service to CDG but are after regional development agency money to make it viable. If this is true I wonder what the reaction of BRS and BACx would be given that BRS and EXT share a common catchment area in certain areas of the west country.