PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Astraeus passenger dies of Lassa fever
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2004, 16:17
Dogs_ears_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellowstar I'm a little confused as to how you assess risk? Were Astraeus to avoid all those areas where lethal diseases exist, a majority of the earths' surface and population would immediately be ruled out as destinations and customers. Operating from the remaining "safe" areas would be no gaurantee of freedom from contamination, as any flight can contain any passenger from any country. You are at risk on an aircraft, just as you are at risk in a cinema, elevator or even (god help us) in an NHS hospital. A degree of risk exists in all human activity, even crossing a road. Astraeus have a responsibility to manage risk to a minimum level, but cannot eradicate it. An assumption otherwise is naive.

From your post, it is clear what you dislike about the situation, however you do not state what it is that should have been done instead? I wondered if you could share with us all your proposed procedural changes - otherwise, in the abscence of any coherent suggestions, the uninitiated might imagine that you were using this thread for a cheap sensationalist shot at Astraeus, and that you now regret having posted before you thought rather than vice versa.

And no, I don't work for, or with them, I just feel that this is a serious subject (after all somebody died) that warrants better treatment in the CC forum than the Hissy Fit we see above.