PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Convair 440 at Billund
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2004, 13:01
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFU

Well, if it is put pack in service for leisure flights, one would imagine that your standard Mr. and Mrs. Bucket would hardly be the target audience! It would probably rather be aeroplane buffs who would throughly enjoy the rattle and shake, and at the end hope the anti-shake function on their digital cameras lived up to the promises made.

I once enjoyed a "thank you" ride in the Lufthansa Traditionsflug tri-motor Junkers, and that still stands as one of "the" moments flying as a passenger.

PS
The "thank you" was for providing them with a complete engine and parts manual for the Wright (R1830?) donks, which LH had foolishly lost moving from ... hmm ... was it Frankfurt to Berlin? Anyway, the company I worked for back then had a very comprehensive library in the cellar, and I was lucky to find a complete, albeit rather dusty, set of manuals. The inhouse off-set printer made copies (including the pages that folds out from A4 to A2, and bound in top quality hardback binders with LH, our Company and Wright logo's - no expenses spared) and we dispatched the books at a token charge of something like USD 25. I belive the copying, printing and binding alone ran into a couple of hundred USD, if not more, but the boss was an old fashioned gentleman who was just happy (as was I) to do his little part in keeping this piece of history flying, so screw the cost and just get it done. Not many of those around today.