PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National Day of Action
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2004, 06:47
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
This does not sound productive or wise to me. It sounds awfully like a very bad idea.

Australians know what "work to rule" means. Government, ATC, Professional Pilots and Airlines will simply and easily label AOPA as a rogue organisation and its members as cowboys and hooligans and/or priviledged silvertails who play around in an expensive sport.

They will do this in the minds of the general public and accuse AOPA (rightly or wrongly) of compromising the safety of the travelling public. In addition if there is ANY accident on this day of protest AOPA will wear the blame.

Its the public perceptions that count, and AOPA should be focussing on what the general public think about GA. Its the public that will force change, not AOPA.

Disclaimer: Anyway this advice is provided free of charge. I'm not an AOPA member, nor am I likley to be at this rate. I'm a newbie student pilot even if I am an old fart.

For what its worth, if AOPA wants to change the regulatory environement and the cost structure of GA, then the case needs to be made to the GENERAL PUBLIC about what good fellows GA pilots and AOPA members are, and how they are an asset to the community and worthy of support - you know, like surf lifesaving clubs, the CFA, SES and so on.

Even the Victorian motorcycle riders federation knows this - they organise an annual Christmas toy run to prove they are not drug dealing hells angels.

You will keep copping it in the @rse from Government because no one knows or cares - and the Government knows it.

(Hint - Maybe AOPA needs a PR consultant?)