PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So I just took my flying aptitude...
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2004, 21:21
Oggin Aviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certainly take the test again.

I wanted to be a Pilot but said "Yes, I would take Obs if offered" at the AIB and I guess that was it - fate sealed. I have since found out that had I said no they would have offered me my first choice. Anyway that was a long time ago. During BRNC I was a bit p*ssed off about it, especially as I had a PPL and an additional 200 hours on a UAS and there were future pilots in my Dartmouth flight who had never even stepped into an aeroplane looking down at me as I was an Obs. However I now realise this was just immaturity on their part and incidentally only about 5 people out of the initial 32 made it through to the frontline - all of those who sneered at me got chopped (character??).

Now looking back at it I do not regret joining as an Observer - It is a great job. Yes you are not physically flying the aircraft, doing tricky deck landings etc but you are running the mission (unless in a Sea Jet!), working as a team with your pilot to get the aircraft in the right place to complete the task. It can be immensly satisfying (like finding, tracking and schwacking (with FA2's in the a-g role) a spam carrier in the middle of the night - boy did the em spectrum light up once the jets went through the overhead undetected and unannounced! - but I digress). Our rules are slightly different to the RAF (except the Kipper fleet) so we can be aircraft captains, another challenging but satisfying aspect. We get paid the same up to 12 years of flying then they get about 2 quid a day more. The career path is broadly similiar, you dont have to do a tour as F or F2 on a CVS (phew). So it is rewarding and challenging, plus you get to work with some great people and see some great places now and again. I would recommend it, although it is not for everyone. You will need to think hard about the decision to be made. I guess some pilots will give you their take on it, hopefully they realise we are not just commissioned baggage but an integral part of the maritime aviation and ops team with a very important contribution to make.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Oggin