PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental announce Bristol - New York service
Old 8th Sep 2004, 20:13
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BRS has been fortunate with its top management. Right through the1980s and half way through the 1990s the man at the helm was the late Les Wilson, someone who lived and breathed Bristol Airport. His enthusiasm was unbounded and he had a nose for publicity and keeping the airport at least in the local limelight if not nationally very often. He was killed in a motoring accident in the mid 90s, a personal tragedy to his loved ones of course, but also a great loss to the airport. I am sure even he would be amazed at what the airport has achieved and, IMO, great credit goes to him for laying the foundations.

Fortunately, John Parkin (now at Newcastle) was then recruited to lead an umpressive team that included the current MD, Andrew Skipp.

I am sure the management recognises the fortunate situation they find themselves in with an airport right in the middle of one of the most vibrant business areas of the the country, coupled with a large wealthy population within its hinterland. As for the US service, the business and tourist links have already been mentioned in the press handout.

Neverthless, management has to work hard to take advantage of these plus points which have also to be taken in the context of a not ideally placed location, either in overall field size, surface links, weather, runway and being on the 'wrong' side of the Greater Bristol conurbation.

The West's business community has been demanding direct access to the USA for many years. It is now up to them to take advantage.

a bristolian,

I have been to Austria and returned today with Excel Air. What a friendly and helpful cabin crew we had today and I hadn't realised they (the cabin crew as opposed to the flight crew) were Bristol based.

I had just completed a post at the time you must have posted yours.

It is very good news and must be taken advantage of. 'Use it or lose it' is an old cry but never more apposite with this service. I think it will be used in great numbers.