PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Constructing a PC
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2004, 17:34
None of the above

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Richard.......... those links give me a good start.

As far as capability of the proposed machine is concerned.....
well I do quite a bit with digital photographs, maps, charts etc. Some word processing is envisaged along with the usual Email and web page viewing. I'm not bothered with streaming video or on-line radio but DVD capabilities would be expected.
I have no interest in using a PC for games. (It wouldn't be seemly in a man of my age!)
I would wish to include a DVD/CD R/RW capable of supporting the R9 format. Although R9 media is expensive at the moment, the price differential between non-R9 and R9 drives is minimal so I might as well have the capability.

To the budget now. Well, as we tend to pay over the odds for everything in the UK, I think that instead of setting a budget that might not 'travel', it would probably be better if I say that I would look for components that are perhaps a bit above average. There is no sense in going for super-economy kit that is likely to cause problems in fairly short order. At the other end of the spectrum there is equally no point in spending money on components that will never be used to the full extent of their capabilities or where you simply pay for a brand name.
I hope that the above hasn't served only to confuse the issue and will give you some food for thought.

Thanks!

N o t a

PS. I had considered 'pushing the boat out' and going for a dual hard drive job with Linux on the second drive. Probably a bit ambitious?

Last edited by None of the above; 8th Sep 2004 at 19:24.