PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exceeding Rate One turns
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2004, 14:15
aces low

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plan ahead

My own opinion...there will always be some circumstances that tempt an IMC student to want to tighten up the turn beyond rate 1. I always suggest to them that turning at rate one involves minimum workload (i.e. your already busy with the procedure, so up your scan rate further while having to increase back pressure to remain level whilst turning). Nine time sout of ten, busy IMC students lose altitude when they overbank when busy with procedures.

If it is obvious that the wind will cause an aircraft (in the standard rate one turn) to blow through the inbound track then I teach them to be aware of this fact before it happens. The needles will tell you at least 30s beforehand in a hold, prompting you to continue the turn to a positive intecept angle...remembering they will be into wind as they do this. This should result in a swift recapture of the desired track. Usually the student rolls out on heading. Ponders a while, then takes up a tiddly intercept angle to go get a track that is rapidly disappearing to one side.

Bottom line is....it shouldn't be a surprise when it happens, and correct procedure should recover the situation rapidly. Exceeding rate one? Shouldn't be necessary for a competent IMC student.