PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Searching for a good read...
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2004, 11:34
MLS-12D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Live to Look Again

I would rather provide positive references than negative, but felt that I should give you a warning about this absolute stinker of a book: Donald A. Fraser, Live to Look Again (1984), ISBN:0919303803. The sub-title should be: The Most Incredibly Boring Autobiography Ever, by The Dullest Man in the World.

The author was a Canadian pilot who served with the RAF during the Second World War, in both Bomber and Coastal Commands. Unfortunately, he seems to have spent his service years doing very little flying, since he was afflicted by various medical complaints (all of which are meticulously recorded for the reader's benefit). There is no particular shame in this; but why he felt it necessary to publish a 242 page memoir cataloguing all the minute details of his many, many leaves, and the lack of activity on the New Brunswick training base to which he was eventually relegated, is a complete mystery.

In addition to the complete lack of any interesting events in the narrative, the writing is rather poor and contains various errors. There doesn't seem to have been any attempt at editing, and I suspect that the book was self-published (why!!!); certainly, I have never heard of the "Mika Publishing Company".

Don't waste your time or money on this irksome chronicle.