PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who can we blame when Avgas runs out?
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2004, 10:59
Ultralights

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting post creamy . It would be interesting to draw a parrallel between the present day and the fuel shocks of the seventies. The induced shock forced most every country to re-think their position on the fuel efficiency of their respective auto fleets. Case in point- 1974 HQ holden 202 returning somewhere around 22-25mpg. 1998 VS Commodore V6 returning around 35mpg, similar weights but more efficient design results in better fuel economy as well as better reliability. Aviation industry especially GA has stagnated in 50's technology. Looking at the homebuilt fleets, we can see some extraordinary designs that are returning both performance and economy. My favorite is a little aussie contraption called an arrow. It uses an 80/100hp subaru motor, cruises at a leasurly 130kts and delivers 37mpg on the old scale. cheap flying
what about the Aussie designed and Built Jabiru engines! my J2200, pulls me along at 150 Kts at 12L per hour! or i could chug along at 120Kts in an pa28/181 Archer for 35LPer hour!

the technology is already in our skies! Just not for GA, unless your prepared to mortgage a few houses.

this arrow you talk of! any more info?