PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Airport Security Flaws Exposed on TV
Old 8th Sep 2004, 07:23
eal401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My tuppence worth.

Yes, it wasn't the best programme in the world, our hero Michelle seems fresh from a media studies course!

However, it very definitely succeeded in making Manchester Airport look very stupid, both at management and staff level. At management level because, as the "mole" (who's words were obviously that of an actor Scottie Dog) stated, one of her referees was an investigative journalist, never mind that any robust search on her should have shown her up for who she really was. So that proved their background searches were useless.

The staff looked stupid as she was firing all these blatent "I'm a spy" questions at them, and fat, dumb and happy they all happily answered.

The cheated figures on search/patrol sheets etc. and non-working metal detectors, were just plain worrying.

Sad though that the programme did choose the "sensationalise" route, as stated, the clever use of camera lenses showing spotters practically alongside the runway was a good one! All the stuff about open gates were arguably irrelevant, as I am sure a terrorist with a SAM could find a million places to stand!

Be interesting to see how much "denial" goes on here though....