PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - turbo vs super charging
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2004, 22:53
Dale Harris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamair, All references to Lycoming Operator's manual, TIO 540.

Full Rated power, (350 h.p) TIO 540 J series, requires 41 U.S. Gal/Hr. X2 = 82 U.S. Hr. = about 320 L/Hr. I would respectfully suggest if your engine is only using 110 L/Hr, it isn't producing 350 h.p. Remember, we are talking about Takeoff power, we average 155 l/hr block time. Remember guys, the TIO 540 series can be had in many different versions, many producing different rated H.P. They vary from 250 rated h.p to 360 rated h.p. The fuel burn at take off and in cruise will obviously vary accordingly. My figures are for your average everyday Chieftain, with the L/TIO 540 J series. As a check last night, on take off, the a/c I flew indicated 42 gal/hr R/h eng and 40 gal/hr on the L/h. Fits nicely with the average I gave above, although given the OAT and Air pressure, I think they are underboosting slightly.

Direct anywhere,
Compression ratio does vary amongst Turbo and Non Turbo charged engines, even amongst the turbo charged varieties. In the TIO 540 series, they vary from as low as 7.2 to 1 up to 8.5 to 1, depending on the amount of boost allowed. A non turbo charged engine usually has higher compression ratio than a turbo.

Just out of interest, I used to fly a Queenair with the original geared supercharged 540's. IGSO 540's to be exact. Rated H.P. was 380. It achieved that at 3400 R.P.M. Or maybe it was 3200? It's been a while. Anyway it also produced 47 " of boost. Required, If i recall correctly, something in the order of 300 L/hr PER ENGINE at that power. Of course, the engine was probably really producing something closer to 450 or 480 H.P. really, as the supercharger is notoriously H.P. hungry, hence the big rpm and boost/fuel flow numbers.