PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Blindness (merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2000, 13:25
FCL3

Unhappy

Hi Folks!

I am a CVD (colour vision defective) in Europe. I have a deuteranomaly. In Europe especially in Germany it is really hard (nearly impossible) to get a medical with a colour vision deficiency !
Since the Germans will adapt to the "new" JAR-Regulation this year I was at the CAA in Gatwick for a Class 1 Med and I was assessed as unfit because I didn't pass the so called lanterntest.
But I didn't give up, so I went to the Aeromedical Institute in Soesterberg (NL) and I really passed the lanterntest, which was now very easy to pass because the way of testing was very different.
So in the next few days I will get my JAR-FCL3-Certificate for Class 1.

The only thing I REALLY don't understand is: Why do they have colour vision tests in their "extended ophtalmological examination" 5 yearly ?!

I'd like to know if there is anbody out there who is colour vision defective and passed the JAR tests (or didn't pass)?

For the American, Canadian and Australian pilots:
Here are the colour perception requirements for Europe:
------------------------------
JAR-FCL 3.225 Colour Perception
Date: February 28, 1997

(a) Normal colour perception is defined as the ability to pass the Ishihara test or to pass Nagel's anomaloscope as a normal trichromate (see paragraph 1 Appendix 14 to Subpart B).

(b) An applicant shall have normal perception of colours or be colour safe. Applicants who fail Ishihara's test shall be assessed as colour safe if they pass extensive testing with methods acceptable to the AMS (anomaloscopy or colour lanterns - see paragraph 2 Appendix 14 to Subpart B).

(c) An applicant who fails the acceptable colour perception tests is to be considered colour unsafe and shall be assessed as unfit.
------------------------------

Sincerly,

- FCL

-------------------
By the way, how's my English?

[This message has been edited by FCL3 (edited 20 June 2000).]