PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Blindness (merged)
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2000, 16:04
150Driver

Question

This is very interesting news...

I failed the lantern test at Gatwick last year for UK Class 2 medical, so I have a restricted class 2, which prevents me from flying at night etc. on my BCPL. This is fine at the moment as I am able to instruct.

However, next year when I come to renew CAA have informed me that I will be required to undertake class 1 JAR medical and they will issue a Class 1 restricted - £350 for instructing PPLs in C150s! Are they having a laugh? The really daft thing is I have an unrestricted UK class 3 (valid for 5 years), meaning I can fly exactly the same a/c with no restrictions whatsoever as a PPL. (The lantern test for class 3 is less stringent, and even for the class 2 they tested me 3 times before they were sure, so I think I am only just 'colour unsafe').

Can you tell me what was different about the test at Soesterberg (as opposed to Germany/UK) that enabled you to pass it? Incidentally, why did you try the UK medical before going to NL?

Also, if you aren't Dutch, are the authorities issuing your professional license happy to do so against the Dutch issued medical ?