PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot fatigue grows as problem for airlines
Old 7th Sep 2004, 19:52
RPeagram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why then do airlines set such high standards for selection. As I believe, at selection they find that you pilots can process large volumes of information whilst multi-tasking. You also have, naturally, good hand-eye and foot coordination. You are above average in maths, verbal reasoning and diagnostic abilities.

Make no mistake about it. You are amazing people and model professions - exept the few which disgrace your profession by being caught drunk in a cockpit. I, without even being a pilot, find it incredible, that middle and senior management treat pilots with such a lack of care. I can't think of another profession which rosters 2 nights followed by 3 earlies. I'ts a disgrace. It's simple. No sleep = less effecient brain activity. Beats the purpose of selecting such highly intelligent and gifted people.

It really is a shame that cadetships have dried up. I've seen a post which beleives that it's better for airlines to select pilots after they have finished at CTC. They will then, no doubt, go on to buy and pass a type rating. Just what spoilt young people can afford this luxuary. Many. This is why, as with many other reasons, whilst the RHS remains in such demand companies can treat pilots as they wish. I, also, can't understand why you don't have a union that can protect you.

Look at what the baggage and check-in staff could do at BA. All you have to do is stop flying. I'm sure this is a lot easier than it sounds. At selection you are very clever. What happens to pilots down the line. Do you become brain dead Blairites who put up with whatever bigbrother tells you. Remember 2+2 = 5 - right.

RP

Last edited by RPeagram; 7th Sep 2004 at 21:13.