PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - expedite climb
Thread: expedite climb
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2004, 12:48
fourthreethree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok so lets try and draw some conclusions from this. Many controllers do not use the term expedite due to its lack of definition. Others who do use it expect different things from a pilot depending on the situation, and also the environment. Pilots react differently upon hearing the word, this can also depend on accompanying phraseology (due traffic etc).

In short, the word should not be used as the sole tool in order to achieve separation, but where a quicker climb is nice, in order to free a situation faster where critical separation is not at stake.

To me it seems strange to use a word such as expedite in a non critical situation, it conveys a sense of urgency IMHO which it would appear is not required in many situations in which it is used. One day when you spot a nasty situation late and you really do need an expedite descent, surely you want the word to carry the message to the pilot that the situation is critical...as I mentioned above from the Uberlingen tragedy.

Giles, I like your comment about putting up shelves, but how about if your wife said to you "If you put the shelves up quickly enough i will drive you to the pub"....Surely you would like to know what is and what isnt quick enough? What a bummer if you miss out by 20 seconds and are forced to walk!!

Cheers all